50 Calorie Funfetti Cake


The taste we associate with funfetti or birthday cake is actually a combination of vanilla and artificial butter flavoring (I use the Wilton brand one, available at Michael's, Bulk Barn, and anywhere that carries cake decorating supplies).

Like always, I've bulked this recipe up with oat fiber because it adds a lot of volume and is super filling, but has negligible taste and no calories.
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp oat fiber
  • 1 tbsp splenda (or equivalent sweetener of choice)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp artificial butter flavoring
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • pinch ofsalt
  • water
  • 1/2 tsp rainbow sprinkles (optional)

Mix everything together but omit the sprinkles. Add water little by little until you have a thick batter.  Once the batter is uniform delicately add the sprinkles (they will bleed color, so over mixing will make your cake look muddy). Pour into a heat tolerant container and then steam for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes.

If followed exactly this recipe has 49.9 calories. 

Recipe Notes:
Most nutrition databases don't have specific nutritional info for artificial butter flavoring, so I’ve assumed it’s the same as vanilla extract.

Sprinkles are made from wax, hydrogenated oil, and sugar, so they actually have a lot more calories than you might initially assume (56 per tablespoon!). The ½ teaspoon I use here adds 9.38 calories that are wholly unnecessary from a taste perspective, but we eat with our eyes and it wouldn't be funfetti cake with a little bit of 'fetti. 

I used NuNaturals brand oat fiber, and 2 parts fiber to 1 part flour is the highest tolerable amount, but if you have Lifesource brand oat fiber, try experimenting with more fiber to flour. Even if it lists calories on the label, oat fiber has no calories that can be digested by humans so I count it as zero.

The technique I used is fundamentally the same as my 47 calorie chocolate cake. In my opinion steaming is better than microwaving or baking, but you could try either method. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting where you got the Oat Fiber from! I couldn't find it anywhere. Loving your videos! Also, weird question, are you Canadian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your recipes plz keep them coming :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so happy I found you. Finally someone who eats like I do! I just feel better when I restrict on a regular basis, and it helps me to have way less GI issues.
    - Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. food games 2019 online
    basketball free game
    soccer games online
    I’m so happy I found you. Finally someone who eats like I do! I just feel better when I restrict on a regular basis, and it helps me to have way less GI issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can recommend primarily decent and even responsible tips, as a result view it
    You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog
    io jogos net
    friv 4 school
    2player games online

    ReplyDelete

  6. play Easter Cupcakes Chef games
    March Mania games
    Hockey Shootout games 2019
    Much thanks for composing such an intriguing article on this point. This has truly made me think and I plan to peruse more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment